Wednesday 2 December 2009

The great mince pie massacre

I hate pastry. Actually, that's a complete lie, I love pastry I just hate making it. I'm a whizz with baked goods generally. I'm very proud of my focaccia, my cakes are top notch (http://www.terracedhousebakery.co.uk) and I've even mastered the chocolate fondant that seems to defeat so many Masterchef contestants. But I have so far been beaten by pastry. It's either too sloppy or too dry, I can't roll it out without everything sticking to the counter top and/or the rolling pin and if I do manage to get it into the oven it invariably doesn't taste all that great. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong and it's getting to be an 'issue'.

Betty and I have just had an incident with the mince pies that never were. I'd made the pastry easily enough but, as I've already mentioned, it all turns to crap at the rolling out stage. I started effing and jeffing at the pastry, the rolling pin, the counter top and Betty just started crying. Harumph. I hate letting her down but it just wasn't happening. I'm going to have to throw myself onto the mercy of my mother and ask her to come round and show me how to do it properly.

I shall not be defeated! And I SHALL make my own mince pies this year!

No comments: