Thursday 10 December 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

OK, I'm a little ahead of myself but in much the same way as M&S are already planning what pants that charming popsy is going to be wearing in next year's Christmas ads, I've got to think about what marketing I'm going to be doing for Valentine's Day.

I've decided to give myself as little work as possible in terms of different orders and will be sticking to one flavour of cupcake - red velvet (you can read about them here at my friend Mrs M's blog), and offering half a dozen for a tenner. Cheaper than anything you could buy at Tiffany's, I would imagine. I think the fact that I've never made red velvet cupcakes shouldn't be a problem... should it? But I've already started buying the sprinkles to go on top. They are, from the left, silver 'smarties', gold heart-shaped dragees, red heart-shaped dragees, silver heart-shaped dragees, sugar butterflies (which I probably won't actually use for Valentine's cupcakes), and at the front little red lips. I already have some fabulous little heart sprinkles and I'll be baking the cupcakes in my favourite red foil cases. The other alternative is just to make roses like the one at the top, but that's quite labour-intensive and making one of them can reduce me to crying and swearing. Not much fun.

The most important thing really is to get the name of the Terraced House Bakery out there a bit more. Since I started in August I've had three orders from people who Googled for cupcakers in my local area and one of these customers has pushed at least six other orders my way. I think I'm going to have to do a craft fair in the New Year but the thought of it makes me want to cry. I've already been to the one I think I'm going to do and although I didn't think the cupcakes there were anything I couldn't do (better!), I'd still feel a little bit of a fraud. It's almost like I feel that because I'm just baking out of my kitchen I'm not legit.
Anyhoo, I've got a cupcake order for Saturday and a cake to bake for my nephew's 3rd birthday on Sunday, so hopefully it'll be next week for the first test samples. Yum, yum, yum.

No comments: